Colton Woman's Club was founded
and organized by approximately 50 Colton women on Oct 27,1900.
It is a non-profit, self sustaining organization. Originally it
was known as the "Current Events Club". When it was federated in
1901, the name was officially changed to COLTON WOMAN'S CLUB.
The initial goal in 1900
was to provide school children with library type books. With the
full support and actions by the Colton City Leaders and the
perseverance of the members of Colton Woman' Club, a Public
Library was build in 1908. The library heritage building is now
the home of the Colton Area Museum.
In the summer of 1913,
the Club purchased a lot on the S/W corner of 7th and "F"
Streets, with a small church building. The stage area of our
present clubhouse is from the church.
In 1921-1922 stock was
sold and $12,000 was borrowed to obtain and remodel our current
building. The club met for the first time in the present
building October 14,1924.
When the decade starting
in 1930 came the depression, and as it increased the presidents
and members found it more and more difficult to keep the club
going. Some members thought the club should be disbanded and the
clubhouse sold. Staunch members continue to carry on it spite of
frustration, lack of attendance and shortage of money. An
arduous task keep the club alive. Dues were reduced from $5 to
$3. in spite of all the difficult times, the burning of the
clubhouse mortgage took place May 11,1938 and the club was free
World War 11 came in
December 1941 and brought more changes to club activities. The
club house was opened as headquarters for distribution of Red
Cross materials. Because of sugar and coffee rationing, members
agreed to furnish them by using alphabetical list The talk of
possibility or women being drafted to save fruit crops was
discussed. This did not become a reality. A request from the
Draft Board to furnish a list of members who would be eligible
to join the Women's Air Corps: a list was submitted but was
In early 1950 a new
cooling system was installed, public breakfasts, dinners and
many other ways and means projects were carried out to raise the
funds. A committee was appointed to consider ways of enlarging
the club house. In 1955,100 commemorative plates were purchased
and sold for $1.75, hangers were 25^. Clubs dues were raised to
$7.50 The Colton Woman's Club sign was repainted and relocated
on the clubhouse. It remains there today. In November 1957
extensivie remodeling of the clubhouse was underway, with a new
ColtonWoman's Club History